An experienced integrative counsellor and registered mental health professional. I provide counselling for adults of all ages who are going through a difficult time in their life. Counselling sessions can be by telephone, secure online video using Zoom or face-to-face in Devon, UK.
As a relational counsellor, I work with individuals who are going through major life difficulties or changes. These changes can include anything from retirement, relationship breakdowns, family issues to the death of a loved one. I help my clients to understand and process their emotions, develop coping mechanisms, and make positive changes in their lives.
I work in a non-judgemental and supportive environment, and I provide my clients with the tools and resources they need to cope with their life better.
If you are going through a major life challenge, I encourage you to reach out for help. Therapy can make a big difference in your life and help you to move forward in a positive way.
What is it like working with me?
I understand that deciding to see a counsellor can be difficult. You might be feeling uneasy, vulnerable, confused or overwhelmed. I’m sensitive and easy to talk to, and will listen closely to your needs, focusing on building a relationship between us that’s based on trust, security and acceptance..
In our relationship, I will provide warmth, openness, empathy, trust and sensitivity. With these qualities, it is always my intention to hold a safe space for you to explore your inner experience without judgement and create the potential for you to feel more at ease.
No counsellor has a magic wand; I can’t resolve all your problems. In fact, that’s not the point of therapy. The point is to give you the courage and the knowledge to cope with all the challenges and difficulties that life inevitably produces – and to help you ‘become who you are’, as the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche put it.
Please feel welcome to get in touch to discuss any queries you may have about counselling with me. I am happy to arrange an introductory session this can help you to get a feel for whether I might be the right therapist for you and gives you an opportunity to ask me any questions. It also allows me to understand your needs and issues more thoroughly and to see whether my approach is appropriate for you. If we feel that we can work together, then we can arrange to talk on a more regular basis, ideally weekly.
My areas of experience
I am experienced in counselling people from all walks of life. As a farmer’s son who previously worked as an agent for the NFU Mutual and studied Agri-Food Marketing and Business Studies at Harper Adams Agricultural College. I have extensive knowledge and experience in supporting the mental health of people in the food and farming sector. I have also experienced working in the hospitality sector with time spent both the restaurant trade and the wine industry.
I have specialist expertise in working with highly sensitive people (HSPs) and parents of highly sensitive children (HSCs). I have also worked as a volunteer counsellor for the Devon based charity Counselling for Carers.
I am experienced in working with adults of all ages from all walks of life and have specialist experience with:
Where I work
My therapy room is in the village of Stoke Gabriel near Totnes in South Devon, UK. I offer face-to-face, telephone and secure online video counselling using Zoom.
Training and Qualifications
- Certificate in Counselling, Iron Mill College, Exeter, Devon
- BACP Accredited Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling, Iron Mill College, Exeter, Devon
- Mindfulness for Stress Reduction and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy, The Sharpham Trust, Totnes, South Devon
- Existential Therapy Workshop with Mick Cooper, Iron Mill College
- Psychotherapy and The Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) licensed therapist with Dr Elaine Aron, author of The Highly Sensitive Person and The Highly Sensitive Child. Also listed on Elaine’s Highly Sensitive Person website as a resource for parents of highly sensitive children: https://hsperson.com/resources/for-parents-of-hsps/
- Parenting from the Inside Out – Course for Mental Health Professionals, Mindsight Institute, Dr Dan Siegel
- The Highly Sensitive Person in Psychotherapy – A workshop with Dr Elaine Aron, Dr Art Aron and Dr Michael Pluess
- Emotion Coaching: The Heart of Parenting – The Gottman Institute
BACP Registered Member 377147. I aspire to follow the BACP Ethical Framework, a copy of which is available online at www.bacp.co.uk
Fees & booking
I work with people for one hour sessions on a weekly basis either in person via telephone or Zoom. Payment by bank transfer.