An experienced integrative counsellor and registered mental health professional, I offer mindfulness based person centred therapy for adults of all ages. Counselling sessions can be by telephone, secure online video using Zoom or face-to-face in Devon, UK.
When you are feeling low, sad, stressed, anxious or depressed, or you’re experiencing relationship issues, talking to a counsellor can really make a difference. Help with these difficulties can be achieved through a process of self-exploration within a safely held, honest, non-judgemental, empathic and trusting counselling relationship. These are the core conditions for person-centred therapy: counselling in which the focus is on you.
What is it like working with me?
I understand that deciding to see a counsellor can be difficult. You might be feeling uneasy, vulnerable, confused or overwhelmed. I’m sensitive and easy to talk to, and will listen closely to your needs, focusing on building a relationship between us that’s based on trust, security and acceptance..
In our relationship, I will provide warmth, openness, empathy, trust and sensitivity. With these qualities, it is always my intention to hold a safe space for you to explore your inner experience without judgement and create the potential for you to feel more at ease.
No counsellor has a magic wand; I can’t resolve all your problems. In fact, that’s not the point of therapy. The point is to give you the courage and the knowledge to cope with all the challenges and difficulties that life inevitably produces – and to help you ‘become who you are’, as the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche put it.
Please feel welcome to get in touch to discuss any queries you may have about counselling with me. I am happy to arrange a thirty minute introductory session at a cost of £30. This can help you to get a feel for whether I might be the right therapist for you and gives you an opportunity to ask me any questions. It also allows me to understand your needs and issues more thoroughly and to see whether my approach is appropriate for you.
If we feel that we can work together, then we can arrange to talk on a more regular basis, ideally weekly. Each session lasts for one hour and costs £50.
My areas of experience
I am experienced in counselling people from all walks of life, including parents, carers, LGBTQ+ people and young adults. I have specialist expertise in working with highly sensitive people (HSPs) and parents of highly sensitive children (HSCs). I have also worked as a volunteer counsellor for the Devon based charity Counselling for Carers in the areas of Totnes, Newton Abbot, Exeter and Torbay areas in Devon since 2017.
As a farmer’s son who previously worked for the National Farmers Union (NFU) and studied agriculture at Harper Adams Agricultural College, I also have an interest in supporting the mental health of farmers, farmers’ sons and farm workers.
I am experienced in working with both men and women from all walks of life. In addition I have specialist experience with:
Where I work
My therapy room is in the village of Stoke Gabriel near Totnes in South Devon, UK. I offer face-to-face, telephone and secure online video counselling using Zoom.
Training and Qualifications
- Certificate in Counselling, Iron Mill College, Exeter, Devon
- BACP Accredited Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling, Iron Mill College, Exeter, Devon
- Mindfulness for Stress Reduction and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy, The Sharpham Trust, Totnes, South Devon
- Existential Therapy Workshop with Mick Cooper, Iron Mill College
- Psychotherapy and The Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) licensed therapist with Dr Elaine Aron, author of The Highly Sensitive Person and The Highly Sensitive Child. Also listed on Elaine’s Highly Sensitive Person website as a resource for parents of highly sensitive children: https://hsperson.com/resources/for-parents-of-hsps/
- Parenting from the Inside Out – Course for Mental Health Professionals, Mindsight Institute, Dr Dan Siegel
- The Highly Sensitive Person in Psychotherapy – A workshop with Dr Elaine Aron, Dr Art Aron and Dr Michael Pluess
- Emotion Coaching: The Heart of Parenting – The Gottman Institute
BACP Registered Member 377147. I aspire to follow the BACP Ethical Framework, a copy of which is available online at www.bacp.co.uk
Fees & booking
Payment is by bank transfer.