Being a parent of a highly sensitive child and a qualified counsellor means I can integrate knowledge, experience and counselling skills to offer parents and carers of highly sensitive children a one to one mentoring/counselling service. This can be face to face, by telephone or online video call.
Why parent mentoring?
I have been the primary carer for my two lovely daughters in South Devon since 2007. I feel passionately about being a parent and I am acutely aware of how incredibly difficult and challenging it can be at times. As a counsellor and mentor I can provide a parent/child centred approach through a supportive relationship which integrates empathy, practical parenting advice and guidance with emotional support.
High sensitivity has a massive impact on my family’s life and coming to understand the trait has transformed our lives – for the better. Before we understood high sensitivity, we were bumbling about in the dark; now we’re in the light.
What is it like working with me?
Through mentoring I can help parents to further deepen their knowledge of high sensitivity and better understand their child. My counselling experience means I can also offer emotional support by providing a safe relationship to talk through difficulties. Having regular dedicated time to focus on tuning in to your child and reflecting on experiences and interactions can greatly improve your relationships and create more harmony in the family.
I can get to know how things are between you and your child and offer a different perspective. In my experience there is no one fix all strategy as all family dynamics are different. My approach is to use my counselling skills and experience to walk alongside you as a parent and use our relationship to explore the relationship you have between you and your child and perhaps other family members. This process can help you find new ways of being, understanding and relating that can improve things for you all.
Mentoring can take place face to face in my peaceful room located in Stoke Gabriel an idyllic South Devon village close to Torbay and Totnes, by telephone or using real time online video software.
BACP Registered Member 377147. I aspire to follow the BACP Ethical Framework, a copy of which is available online www.bacp.co.uk
Where I work
I work in the village of Stoke Gabriel near Totnes and Torbay in South Devon which is conveniently situated for access from Totnes, Torbay, Torquay, Paignton, Brixham, Dartmouth, Kingswear and Newton Abbot. The postcode is TQ9 6SL. Free parking is available in a private car park.
For those further afield I offer sessions via telephone or secure online video using FaceTime or Zoom.
Training and Qualifications
- Certificate in Counselling, Iron Mill College, Exeter, Devon.
- Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling (BACP Accredited), Iron Mill College, Exeter, Devon.
- Mindfulness for Stress Reduction and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy, The Sharpham Trust, Totnes, South Devon.
- Existential Therapy Workshop with Mick Cooper, Iron Mill College
- Psychotherapy and The Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) licensed counsellor with Dr Elaine Aron founder and author of The Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) and The Highly Sensitive Child (HSC). Also listed on Elaine’s Highly Sensitive Person website as a resource for parents of HSCs. https://hsperson.com/resources/for-parents-of-hsps/
- Parenting from the Inside Out – Course for Mental Health Professionals, Mindsight Institute, Dr Dan Siegel.
Fees & booking
All standard sessions last for one hour unless we have previously arranged otherwise.
Payment is by cash or card at the beginning of a session.